Monday, August 25, 2008

Magic Treehouse Expert




Erin has a really cool reading teacher. During the 2nd grade, Erin's reading group focused on the Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osborne. (a series of 39 books about 2 kids, Jack and Annie, who have a magic tree house that takes them to different places in different periods of time--great historical fiction!). After the group read a book, they would celebrate with different activities relating to the story. They wrapped each other in tp like mummies, sampled mangos from the Amazon, ate candies from Japan, dug for chocolate chips in cookies like palaentologists. Erin loved these books--in fact, Mrs. Jones encouraged her to continue reading the remaining books after the group was finished with the unit. Erin read and read --and kept reading! She finished the last 2 books this summer--she has been around the world with Jack and Annie on 39 different adventures! Mrs. Jones gave her a special gift--a beautiful handmade jewelry box. I am so pleased that Erin loves to read--and so happy that we have such a wonderful reading teacher! Thanks Mrs. Jones--good work Erin!

5 comments:

Summer Freeman said...

So glad Erin made it to school!! And Mrs. Jones!! she taught me how to file. My first job away from the dairy.

wyomingerica said...

Yea for Erin, Mrs. Jones hasn't aged much she looks the same way I remember her.

M&M_Mama said...

Yeah Erin! I am SOOOO proud of you. And I love Mrs. Jones, too! I don't know many kids who have read a whole series of books and what a long series, too. You are AMAZING Erin!

From your former teacher,
Mrs. Z!

Danette Bowen said...

WAY TO GO!!! Mrs. Jones is so good with the kids! Ashlee and Sage loved her and Tristan is getting to know her now!
Danette

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great teacher! We have enjoyed that series of books as well, but not like Erin! No, our kids all took off on reading with the series "Calvin & Hobbes," Okay, so I'm no reading teacher, but it worked!!