Monday, June 29, 2009

Jillian's Article in the Friend


Jillian and I were indexing together in the spring of 2008. While trying to decipher an old census, we had a neat experience which enabled us to record census information about a woman from the late 1800's. I encouraged her to write this experience down. We turned our story into the Friend, and they published it! Check out the July 2009 Friend by clicking here. We are so excited!


I have read in a book by Gene R. Cook about writing down special experiences that happen in your life. "I've...found that many experiences with my family have been of great benefit to others, and I believe strongly in recording in some detail my key experiences week after week. I have learned, as have many others, that if I do not record them when they occur, the impact of the experiences or the feelings that attended them are soon lost. However, if I record them and remember them, I can use them to help others" (Raising Up A Family To The Lord, Gene R Cook, pg 63). Whether or not my experiences help others, I am sure I will be glad to read them later in my life. Memories like these will buoy my spirits during future trials.


*Also, I love indexing! It is soo nerdy, I know! It is a great way to get a quick family history "fix". What I personally discovered from this experience with Jillian is that family history work is a great exercise in listening to the Holy Ghost. What a great way to teach your kids how to listen. It usually only takes about 30-60 min. to complete a page of census work. Click here for more information!

8 comments:

Summer Freeman said...

Lots of screaming at our house when Lexi saw Jill in the Friend!! You thought that Edward Cullen had walked by with ALL the screaming!!

Kiley said...

We were reading the Friend for bedtime stories last night and were so excited to see Jillian in it! Fun story Jilly, and congratulations on being published!

Karli said...

That is pretty dang awesome Jill! I love it! You are such an amazing young woman (one of my favorites!) and I can't wait to see all the amazing things you do in your life. And, I love your happy spirit-you inspire me to be better, just like your mom does! I'd love to have you babysit sometime soon too!

Jillian said...

We saw you in the Friend tonight too....you are famous. :)
We think you are pretty awesome too-

Gerry Ogden said...

Jillian, Luke and I looked at your picture and article in the Friend this afternoon. He knew you were his cousin! I like to index too. I call it my guilt busting habit because it makes me feel I have accomplished something in family history and it is fun and addicting.

Kelsey Peterson said...

We saw her and I was so impressed! That is so amazing that she could have that experience.
Bedtime stories pictures are so cute as well and makes me miss my sisters.

Anonymous said...

Brynn showed me the article and we were both very excited! Way to pull off celebrity status! I hope that the paparazzi doesn't bother you too much. By the way, we want to come to Boise sometime in the next few weeks. You busy if we stop by?

craptasticcancer.blogspot.com said...

Neat story! Thanks for letting us know that it is in the Friend.