I think this guessing game was a little too easy. All of you earned your "golden star"--the equipment is a 9600 John Deere Combine, the crop is Stephen's Winter Wheat. (I don't know the township, section and range, Mr.& Mrs. Smartie Pants!) Bret said that likely this wheat will be shipped to Asia and fed to animals.
We're waiting to dig xxxxxxx(that will be another guessing game)...I'll be sure to get lots of pictures posted. I especially hope my nephews will enjoy the big equipment!
In honor of wheat harvest, I want to post a recipe that contains wheat. I have been making my Aunt Kathy's bread lately--I grind hard white wheat and it is delicious. I have always been able to make white bread, but wheat bread has been a challenge. I have made some horrible bread--Bret has used the phrase "brick bread" before. With this recipe and a little practice, Bret hasn't complained lately. I love this recipe because it uses basic ingredients:
Whole Wheat/White Bread
6 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups white flour
2 1/2 Tb yeast
3/8 cup honey or sugar
1 1/2 Tb salt
1/2 cup oil
3 3/4 cup warm water
Mix salt, water, oil, sugar and yeast in a bread mixer. Add whole wheat flour while continuing to mix. Add white flour until it makes a soft stiff dough. Mix well for about 8 minutes. Let rise til double. Turn out onto floured counter and cut into 3 pieces. Shape into loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Let raise about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 35- 40 minutes.
Note: the original recipe makes 6 loafs. If you are interested in a bigger batch, just double the recipe. Three loaves are good for my family...plus it is all my kitchen aid can handle! I think the real secret is in the mixing time...be sure to give it 8 minutes. I usually set the timer and walk away.
1 comment:
I'll have to give this recipe a try! I have my own that I have developed over the years, but it's always nice to shake things up a bit.
We just found out that the farmer who tends our fields planted hard red wheat, instead of barley (as he had originally told us he was going to do)! We're so clueless, we didn't even know the difference. So next year, I'm going to try and get him to plant hard white wheat, and see if I can keep some. We dry-farm, and being the clueless gal I am, I don't know if we can grow a food-grade quality (for human consumption). What have you guys done in the past?
Post a Comment