Monday, September 15, 2008

Gift Ideas

I need help! I never shop in the toy aisle or watch Saturday morning cartoons, so I am completely unaware and uneducated about the coolest toys out there. It is Lizzie's 5th birthday on Saturday, and I don't know what to buy her for a birthday present. Anybody have any suggestions? What do your 5-year-olds love to play with?

p.s. I have asked her what she wants...she says she wants a surf board. ???? She knows what a surf board is--she gets on the arm of the couch and pretends to "ride the waves". I'm not sure what tv show she has been watching...

6 comments:

SUSIE E. STOUT said...

I don't have a five year old but I do have a suggestion, I just read an article that says educational toys like the new stuff is not that healthy for your children, because it doesn't leave room for imagination. All I know is that the toys for imagination are cheaper and I remember that's what we played with... so dress up stuff, my little pony's, that kind of thing might be a good choice. p.s. did you ever watch august rush?

Janetlee said...

I just asked Faith if her birthday were today, what would she like? She said, "a cell phone so I could call you." Amazing. 5 years old.

Jillian said...

Sammy saw a Hannah Montana dress up at Sam's club the other day...she says she wants it really really bad. maybe that is worth a shot for Liz.

attack of The Mouse said...

Seriously, you are lucky. That means she will love anything you give her. I actually have been thinking about this, I took most of E's toys and put them away, she seems very happy now. I am dreading Christmas. I don't one more toy to come into my house. E. plays for hours with two things. It is great, and the clean up is do-able. My idea, fingernail polish. E. and I painted each other's nails tonight and she thought it was great.
At any rate Happy Birthday to L. and what a great age 5. Love it.

Johnston Family said...

Hey,
Your blog is way fun. It's fun to see what's up. I can't help much with the birthday department. My brain is wired for little boys, but I guess oddly enough, chase like to play princess. :)

Jennifer Nielson said...

Thanks for the advice! I ended up with a few small toys and some clothes. Have you seen the Pop Beads? I think she'll enjoy these--she is very patient when it comes to fine motor skills (unlike any of her siblings). I also got her a wipe-off workbook from Costco and (gouge my eyes out) an E-pet. Yes, cousin, I agree--I just took a bunch of toys to dad's cabin (he-he) because I couldn't stand the clutter at my house anymore. I am almost out of the toy stage...yipee! However I notice, the older they get they have less "stuff", but it is just more expensive stuff!!